Monday, December 8, 2008

feeling cranky............

There are days when I feel like putting a stake through people…..i seem to be having a miserable 24 hrs here….it’s just one of those days!! when nothing really is blowing up in my face… I mean nothing major…yet nothing is going as planned!!
Let’s begin with the net connection in the office!! It fluctuates between barely there to no trace of it at all….the system is constantly searching for network, and just when you’ve patiently downloaded something, in the last few seconds, the application times out! Aaarrgghh……
My outlook express seems to have a life and a mind of its own….i am after almost a month, unable to get the configuration correct…..i spent 2 good hours today trying to explain this to an online tech support agent, and all I got was stock answers that made me really want to reach for that stake!! Why do they not probe you? Why do they not try and trouble shoot? Why do they give stock responses? I guess I will never have the answers to these questions……it is like the Immaculate Conception, which you will have to just accept…..
Maybe my irritation is multiplied by the fact that its that time of the month again….it brings with it the overwhelming need to lie in bed, with a hot water bottle to ease the backache and cramps and total silence….any little rustle is enough to tick me off….yesterday, despite my want to just cut everyone out of my life for the moment, we woke up literally at the crack of dawn to take amma to the airport….already the whole household, (read Amma) was so worked up about the security arrangements at the airport after the Bombay attacks and reports in the papers and news channels that all airports were on high alert….there is a little background story to the high drama of a few days ago….. Amma not knowing what she wanted to do…go back or stay…. Train tickets aren’t available till January and this meant, despite her apprehensions of not wanting to fly, we had to book her ticket on a plane…. So she spent days watching the tv, scouring it for news on airports and flights…. Any little mention in the newspapers, was pored over with a magnifying glass… really she has to use one to read…the newspaper said “airline asks passengers to report 3 hrs ahead” finish……… regardless of the fact that it was for Singapore airlines only…she went crazy ….. no amount of reassurance was doing her any good….. it’s the way things are…this is the fear that terror has put into our minds…and this is what we have to deal with…call it irrational…. But this is real….
Anyways, on Sunday morning, after a fitful sleep, we woke up, got dressed and drove on the new Outer Ring Road to the airport…I am pleased to report, that the Shamshabad airport is now a mere 25 mins away from home….the road is partly finished and is magnificent…ofcourse my heart cried for the destruction of all those rocks… but that is what brought the airport that much closer to me! We found a Kingfisher baggage handler and handed amma over to him, asking him to take care of her and help her board the plane….we do it every time….and she acts so independent that they wonder why we fussed so much in the first place!! Security was a breeze, all those involved were relaxed and that was a good thing…
we got back home and I tried to hit the sack, but couldn’t……ordered food…. despite all my food charts, I binged…. Felt like a beached whale, and craving only a snuggle with my hot water bottle, I slept like a baby…..to awake a few hours later, just to feel like I could sleep and never wake up again….a couple who we know, they own this fabulous European bakery in hyderabad….not your regular hole in the wall, but pretty fabulous….they were having this advent thingie they’d invited us for….having stood them up a couple of times before, we made a polite appearance….it is Christmas season already!! Carol services galore yesterday…..christmas trees are up….decorations are happening!! And I need to get my act together on the cards if I want to send them out before this festival season ends!!
K and I had dinner outside together…at my favourite but completely outpriced Italian place…..even that bowl of creamy pasta couldn’t comfort me…...i bought myself that damned water bottle I was hallucinating after….and that’s the only thing that lulled me to sleep…..
This morning when I woke up, I sorely missed amma….and I think that’s what set the pace for a cranky day today….
Edited to add: as I got out of office, I stopped at a flower shop and bought myself…one dozen roses in a lovely deep pink…..and 6 stems of double lilies…..i felt instantly better….got home…plunged them in water…and now as I sit typing this, the roses are sitting pretty on my nightstand….and the whole house is smelling wonderful from the lilies……


No comments: